xlswrite , io package and octave 3.2.4

From: senator
Subject: xlswrite , io package and octave 3.2.4
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 13:57:36 -0700 (PDT)

I Recently downloaded Octave 3.2.4, I was thinking this was the latest
version. I think it said it was just updated in February. I have been trying
for a while to use xlswrite, but I am getting nowhere. (earlier I was trying
to use xlsread and also was not having luck  so used a different
method--thanks )  I read that I need to install the io package to use
xlswrite, so I recently found it and tried to install it. The problem is
when I try to install the package from the command window I get:
Error: the following dependencies where unsatisfied: io needs octave >=3.4.0
Before I make any software changes I am trying to confirm what I should do.
What do you think I need to do to get xlswrite and xlsread working and do I
have the latest version of octave available? I downloaded it Friday.

thanks a million