reading text into octave

From: senator
Subject: reading text into octave
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 06:57:40 -0700 (PDT)

I am not sure what the latest word is on using textscan. I know last year
there was some bug, but i have read in some places that it now works. I
notice pretty much the same scenario for textread..
I have used textscan in matlab, but cannot get it to work in Octave. I am
reading in comma deliminated .txt file. Can someone give me some advice on
where would be the optimal place to start looking for information to lead me
to read in this kind of file.

Also, what sight do you guys recommend for looking up octave fuctions such
as textread. I dont think there is a help section for octave program? what
is your equivalent of the mathworks website.

Sincerely thanks for your time and advice,
Jonathan