Re: detrend() in Matlab and Octave

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: detrend() in Matlab and Octave
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 18:12:47 -0500

On Dec 22, 2010, at 1:23 PM, H W Borchers wrote:

> The 'detrend()' functions in Matlab and Octave provide quite different
> functionality:
>
> Matlab: Removes a constant or linear trend between given breakpoints.
>
> Octave: Removes a trend of order n from the whole sequence.
>
> What is the reason for this varied behavior?
>
> Hans Werner

I'm not sure I understand the context of your question. But I'll take a shot.
I'll assume you are referring to the documented features of Matlab's
implementation of detrend that Octave does not support?

Compatibility with Matlab wasn't always a high priority for Octave development.
As a result, there remain some functions that are not fully compatible.

The most likely reason Octave's detrend is not fully compatible is because no
one is aware of the problem, or no one has invested the effort to fix it.

If you'd like to see the compatibility of detrend fixed, please file a bug
report ...

        https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?group=octave

Or better yet, If you are particularly motived, please submit a patch.

Ben