Re: Octave revision pack

From: Leo Butler
Subject: Re: Octave revision pack
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2010 09:22:57 +0100 (BST)

On Sun, 5 Sep 2010, Laurent Hoeltgen wrote:

< Hi,
<
< Am Sonntag, den 05.09.2010, 18:41 +0200 schrieb Fotios Kasolis:
< > Hello everybody,
< >
< > as i told you i was writing some notes for Octave. I would be very happy if
some of you give feedback, it is only 31 pages and is easy to read (i hope)...,
so here we are
< >
< > http://www8.cs.umu.se/~fotios/OctaveRevPack.pdf
< >
< > /Fotis

I'd like to second the praise, this is very nice.
Here are a few suggestions/comments:

1. Since the examples can be copied and pasted into an Octave session
or text editor, take out the leading > characters to facilitate this.
The terminal sessions can be indicated by something like

# Octave transcript:
.
.
.

You lose a certain 'realism' since your transcripts don't exactly mirror
the Octave output, but a short explanation early on can remedy this.
Moreover, the realism is false anyway, since the Octave prompt is
configurable (and on my vanilla 3.3.52+, it is octave> not >).

2. Likewise, in the transcripts, prefix each output line with a #
character.

(Q: is it possible to configure Octave so that it automatically
prefixes that # ?)

3. on p. 10, I think the description of | should be "b1 | b2 is true
if either b1 or b2 is true."

Regards,
Leo

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.