Re: video to SVG

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: video to SVG
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 15:30:58 +0200

ons, 30 06 2010 kl. 17:54 +0530, skrev narendra sisodiya:
> Hi, I am trying to work on a project for Video to SVG conversion.
> Basically, the classroom videos which has only one white-board and
> lines and curves can be compressed by converting into vector markup
> like SVG. All i need to find the curves and lines inside
> video/imaegs(frames)
>
> Any starting points if I use Octave to build this project. I have done
> some basic matrix manipulation on octave but I have not done any video
> or image processing using octave or any other tools

Is this a research topic of yours or do you just want to solve the
problem? If you just want to solve it, I would look into

  http://potrace.sourceforge.net/

which seem to do what you are looking for (I've used it successfully
with Inkscape in the past).

If you are doing this as a research topic, then I guess Octave is a fine
platform. You can easily get the images into Octave using 'imread'.
Things like edges can be detected with the 'edge' function from the
'image' package. It shouldn't be hard to trace edges (I think we have a
function for this in the 'image' package, but I forgot its name). For
starters you can just create the SVG by plotting your traced curves and
print them into SVG files.

Søren