VLFeat

From: David Grundberg
Subject: VLFeat
Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 16:58:31 +0200

VLFeat on Octave.

Anonymous wrote to me:
"David, I heard you wrote some VLFeat stuff for Octave. Any news?"

Yes. I've done some patching to make it work with Octave 3.3+. Note that the Octave/mex interface is NOT ABI compatible with Matlab/mex! So you can't use Matlab's mex compiler to make binaries for Octave. You'll have to use mkoctfile --mex.

Note that there are some fixes AFTER Octave 3.2 to the Octave/mex interface. Search for my name in the Octave hg repository.

I'm attaching all commits I've written for VLFeat. Some of them are crucial, some of them are stupid and can safely be ignored. There are some multi-threading thrown in too. The focus has been on vl_sift and vl_ubcmatch.

I'm licensing these patches under GPLv2+. They may only be used under the terms of GPLv2 or, at your choice, any later version. (I believe this is the license for VLFeat too, at least I asked the authors to add the "and later" clause, and I think I was successful)

Here's the pathetic excuse for building system I used:

set -eu
cd toolbox/sift
for FILE in vl*.c ;
do
    mkoctfile "$FILE" -I../  -I../misc -I../../ ../../vl/*.c --mex \
        -D__LITTLE_ENDIAN__
#-DHAVE_PTHREAD -pthread
#a,p,c
# -DVL_SUPPORT_SSE2