Optimise horizontal lines at peaks and troughs of a sine wave

From: babelproofreader
Subject: Optimise horizontal lines at peaks and troughs of a sine wave
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 15:25:35 -0800 (PST)

I'm trying to create/optimise a Tukey Control Chart on a sine wave such that
the control limits (horizontal lines) are as close as possible to the peaks
and troughs of said sine wave. What syntax/function can I use to extract the
positions of the peaks and troughs of the sine wave from a selected portion
of its vector so that I can extract the values of the control limits at the
corresponding positions from their respective vectors?