Strange behavior of "what" command?

From: forkandwait
Subject: Strange behavior of "what" command?
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 21:57:44 +0000 (UTC)

In my effort to write a recursive test command, I have learned about "what".
However, I get odd behavior, with what not seeing certain files, for no reason
I can determine:

octave-3.3.50:1:foodemog> what Code
M-files in directory /usr/home/wsprague/foodemog/Code:
   examples.m   prjcmp.m     r2les.m      runusa.m
octave-3.3.50:2:foodemog> ls Code
examples.m      prjcmp.m        r2les.m         runusa.m        tsnarf.m
octave-3.3.50:3:foodemog>

I wondered if there is something in the M-file itself, but I am not sure what
it could be.  Also, the missing function (tnsarf) is available in my octave
session for me to run.  Any advice would be appreciated!

However, ... if you return a value it seems to get all the m-files in the
directory:
octave-3.3.50:9:foodemog> x = what('Code')
x =
{
  path = /usr/home/wsprague/foodemog/Code
  m =