Re: import R vector into octave

From: Gero J Fanuth
Subject: Re: import R vector into octave
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 16:55:50 +0000 (UTC)

Aditya Bhagwat <aditya <at> biomath.ugent.be> writes:

> Dear all,
>
> I am using emacs for both R-scripts as well as octave-scripts. Moving a
> vector from the octave workspace to the R workspace is easy: (1) save
> the vector with the "save" function in octave and (2) read it in R with
> "read.octave{e1071}". But how to do the opposite? How to bring a vector
> from the R workspace into octave?

It is easier to exchange files between R, Matlab, Octave, Scilab, etc.
by using the ASCII format, not a specialized or proprietary one.

For transferring vector a from Octave to R:

O:  save -ascii a.txt a                 in Octave
R:  a <- scan("a.txt")                  in R

For transferring vector a from R to Octave:

R:  write(a, "a.txt")
O:  a = load("-ascii", "a.txt");

If you'd prefer a fancier format, "HDF5" could be nice (not Mac OSX):

R:  library(hdf5)
    hdf5save("a.txt", a)
O:  a = load("-hdf5", "a.txt");

~~~ Jerome