Re: not finding libumfpack.so.3.2.0

From: Judd Storrs
Subject: Re: not finding libumfpack.so.3.2.0
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 14:39:04 -0500

I suspect this is related to a bug in the debian octave package that
was reported a while ago, but that seems to have been ignored. The
octave install script calls "octave" instead of using the full and
versioned path. So anything that is executable called octave gets
called instead of the version being installed by the package depending
on your PATH.

For example, I have a locally installed octave in /usr/local/bin

$ type -all octave
octave is /usr/local/bin/octave
octave is /usr/bin/octave

The problem is that the octave package install script will use
/usr/local/bin/octave instead of the one it is trying to install
because /usr/local/bin is first in the PATH.

I usually just remove /usr/local/bin from the path and install using
apt-get (or aptitude). If you install the octave-3.0.5 package it's
fun, too.

--judd