Re: plot titles are off of the plot

From: charles reid
Subject: Re: plot titles are off of the plot
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 17:35:48 -0600

Hi Ben -

The plots I get are the same (both at http://charles.endoftheinternet.org/test1.png and http://charles.endoftheinternet.org/test2.png)

This solution solves my problem!  Thanks for your help.  (Also, in case it is still of interest, I am using a binary from SourceForge).

Charles

On Sat, Oct 24, 2009 at 16:12, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:

On Oct 24, 2009, at 6:09 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:

On Oct 24, 2009, at 4:19 PM, charles reid wrote:

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 17:46, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:

On Oct 23, 2009, at 1:40 PM, charles reid wrote:

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 06:52, Matthias Brennwald <address@hidden
wrote:

On Oct 23, 2009, at 2:29 PM, address@hidden wrote:

Hi -

I'm using Octave 3.2.0 on a Mac.  When I create plots, the
titles are not
entirely in the plot window (see attached "Picture 1.png").
I've tried
re-adjusting the physical position of the titles, but it doesn't
fix the
problem (the text is still cut off, or I have to make it overlap
with the
plot itself).  I see this behavior using GnuPlot with either X11
or Aquaterm
as my back-end.  The behavior is really annoying, since, to see
the actual
plot titles, I have to save the plot to an external file, which
looks fine
(see attached "Picture 2.png").  Does anybody have any idea what
is causing
this?  Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

Hi Charles

How did you create the PNG file? I believe your problem might be
related to this:

http://www.nabble.com/Axis-labels-in-EPS-figure-are-outside-bounding-box-td25941582.html#a25942083

Matthias

Yes, I'm generating these plots using the 'plot' command.  Is
there another graphics back-end that won't have this problem?

If you make an adjustment to the "position" property, you'll be
able to compensate for this *feature* of the gnuplot backend. The
developers are currentl working on a new backend, but printing is
not yet supported.

To compensate, try ...

     set (gca, "position", [0.26   0.22  0.645   0.705])

... and then try your print command again.

Ben

Hi Ben -

Thanks for the 'set' suggestion, but it doesn't work - it's moving
the plot itself, not the title.  I tried putting the command right
before and right after the title command, and putting it at the end
of all the commands related to the plot, but they all give the same
result - the plot, not the title, is shifted.

Charles

Please try one more time ...

       close all
       figure (1)
       plot (1:10)
       xlabel ("xlabel")
       ylabel ("ylabel")
       title ("title")
       print -dpng test1.png
       p = get (gca, "position");
       p(4) = p(4) - p(2);
       set (gca, "position", p)
       print -dpng test2.png

... and then email each png to me so that I can compare with what I see.

Also, please let us know how you obtained your octave from Fink,
MacPorts, or Sourceforge.

Thanks
Ben

I'm now attaching what I see as a follow up since attaching files often delays them being posted to the list.

Ben