Re: Help-octave Digest, Vol 42, Issue 55

From: Bart Vandewoestyne
Subject: Re: Help-octave Digest, Vol 42, Issue 55
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 15:30:11 +0200

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 01:43:12AM -0500, address@hidden wrote:

> This is indeed a good question.
> I did consult the NSIS manual, and it seems that there is no supoprt for
> an answer file for unattended installs, which means it would need to be
> programmed by hand.
> I am not an expert on nsis, and frankly I am not overly eager to start
> coding this by hand.

I have never used NSIS in my life, but at the bottom of

http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Docs/Chapter4.html#4.12

it is mentioned:

"If your installer/uninstaller requires some more information
 that can not be gathered when silent, you can allow the user to
 specify that information on the command line and process it in
 .onInit."

and completely at the bottom is written:

"If your installer/uninstaller requires a lot of information and
 you want it to be able to be silent, you should allow the user to
 pass on a path to an answers file. This would be much more
 comfortable than writing all of the information on the command
 line."

So i guess this means that there *are* ways to do it, no?

If there are few options:
  -> use the .onInit. processing technique

If there are a lot of options:
  -> let the user pass a path to an answer file

But again... I don't know anything about NSIS and absolutely do
not have the time to dig into this... so I'm afraid this is all I
can help.

Maybe other installer systems could also be considered?  The free and
Open Source ones that I know of, are listed on my webpage
http://osswin.sourceforge.net/ (search for 'Installer systems').
I think Inno Setup is the most known, but I don't know if it is
better/worse than NSIS.

Regards,
Bart

--
        "Share what you know.  Learn what you don't."