Re: Octave 3.2.2 for Ubuntu9.04 -- How to compile from sources

From: Judd Storrs
Subject: Re: Octave 3.2.2 for Ubuntu9.04 -- How to compile from sources
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 22:55:17 -0400

That's pretty weird. Are your packages up-to-date?

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

--judd

On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 10:17 PM, Uwe Dippel <address@hidden> wrote:
Judd Storrs wrote:
I really don't think it's that hard to compile from sources on Ubuntu.

The following describes how I successfully built octave-3.2.2 on a
fresh install of Ubuntu 9.04. After I finished install from the CD, I
used Synaptic to update all Ubuntu packages. I did not change any
software sources from the defaults. Here's how I proceeded:

[...]

Hope this helps.

I hope so, too!

Actually, I'm a FOSS-person myself; a Linux user for 10 years. No,
difficult to do it is not. The thing that's absolutely difficult is the
How To! How should, how could, anyone guess which packages are
necessary; which commands are necessary?? I at least couldn't.

And still, it doesn't go through here:

$ sudo apt-get install libcurl4-dev libgraphicsmagick++1-dev libfltk-dev
libarpack2-dev
Package libcurl4-dev is a virtual package provided by:
 libcurl4-gnutls-dev 7.18.2-8ubuntu4.1
You should explicitly select one to install.
E: Package libcurl4-dev has no installation candidate

$ sudo apt-get install libcurl4-gnutls-dev
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
 comerr-dev libgcrypt11-dev libgnutls-dev libgpg-error-dev libidn11-dev
 libkadm55 libkrb5-dev libldap2-dev libtasn1-3-dev
Suggested packages:
 libcurl3-dbg libgcrypt11-doc gnutls-doc gnutls-bin guile-gnutls krb5-doc
 comerr-dev libcurl4-gnutls-dev libgcrypt11-dev libgnutls-dev
 libgpg-error-dev libidn11-dev libkadm55 libkrb5-dev libldap2-dev
 libtasn1-3-dev
0 upgraded, 10 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 3928kB of archives.
After this operation, 12.2MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y

$ sudo apt-get install libcurl4-dev libgraphicsmagick++1-dev libfltk-dev
libarpack2-dev
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package libcurl4-dev is a virtual package provided by:
 libcurl4-gnutls-dev 7.18.2-8ubuntu4.1
You should explicitly select one to install.
E: Package libcurl4-dev has no installation candidate
$

And that's the end already. No libcurl4-dev.

So I tried the other way:
$ sudo apt-get install libcurl4-openssl-dev
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
required:
 libgpg-error-dev libtasn1-3-dev libgcrypt11-dev libgnutls-dev
 libssl-dev
Suggested packages:
 libcurl3-dbg
The following packages will be REMOVED:
 libcurl4-gnutls-dev
 libcurl4-openssl-dev libssl-dev
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 3035kB of archives.
After this operation, 7029kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y

$ sudo apt-get build-dep octave3.0
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package libcurl4-dev is a virtual package provided by:
 libcurl4-gnutls-dev 7.18.2-8ubuntu4.1
You should explicitly select one to install.
E: Package libcurl4-dev has no installation candidate
E: Failed to satisfy Build-Depends dependency for octave3.0: libcurl4-dev

Out of luck again, and the end of the line for me.

Thanks anyway,

Uwe