RE: Octave 3.2.2 for Ubuntu9.04 -- How to compile from sources

From: dastew
Subject: RE: Octave 3.2.2 for Ubuntu9.04 -- How to compile from sources
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 23:31:42 +0000

Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 16:27:03 -0400
From: address@hidden
To: address@hidden
CC: address@hidden

The following describes how I successfully built octave-3.2.2 on a fresh install of Ubuntu 9.04. After I finished install from the CD, I used Synaptic to update all Ubuntu packages. I did not change any software sources from the defaults. Here's how I proceeded:

1) Install library dependencies
-------------------------------

First try:

$ sudo apt-get install libcurl4-dev libgraphicsmagick++1-dev libfltk-dev libarpack2-dev

If it succeeds proceed to step 2. Otherwise if it complains that there is more than one package that satisfies libcurl4-dev use

$ sudo apt-get install libcurl4-gnutls-dev

and then repeat the first command again.

libcurl4-dev is required for step 2, but it is a virtual package satisfied by two other packages--either libcurl4-gnutls-dev or libcurl4-openssl-dev. I used libcurl4-gnutls-dev but I assume you could use the openssl one. If the first command succeeds then you already have one of these.

2) Install packages needed to build octave

$ sudo apt-get build-dep octave3.0

3) Download libqrupdate packages from Karmic. (OPTIONAL)

Get and install packages for your platform from:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/libqrupdate-dev
http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/libqrupdate1

Install them using gdebi or

$ dpkg -i libqrupdate1_1.0.1-1_i386.deb libqrupdate-dev_1.0.1-1_i386.deb

4) Download, extract, and build octave-3.2.2

$ wget ftp://ftp.octave.org/pub/octave/octave-3.2.2.tar.bz2
$ tar xf octave-3.2.2.tar.bz2
$ cd octave-3.2.2
$ ./configure --prefix=/usr/local
$ make
$ make check
$ sudo make install

Hope this helps.

--judd

I tried this and it worked!!

Now How do you add all the packages from source forge?

Doug