Re: regdatasmooth

From: Jonathan Stickel
Subject: Re: regdatasmooth
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 07:57:28 -0600

On 9/16/09 address@hidden wrote:
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 13:14:25 -0700 (PDT)
From: esteban1 <address@hidden>
Subject: regdatasmooth
To: address@hidden

Hi,

I have a problem with the regdatasmooth function implemented in the
data-smoothing-1.2.0 package. Whenever I want to run a demo or the function
itself I get the following error: error: unary operator `'' not implemented for `list' operands.

The regdatasmooth function calls the rgdtsmcore function. This function
works fine, when I run it with my parameters.

But I would like to use regdatasmooth since it optimizes the smoothing
through lambda and other parameters.
I allready searched the web and the mailing list but I was not able to find
something.

Thanks for the help!

There have been some changes to the optimization functions in Octave and Octave-forge recently. There is a new fminunc function with a different implementation in Octave that takes different arguments. To get the latest regdatasmooth, download it from here:

http://octave.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/octave/trunk/octave-forge/main/data-smoothing/inst/

Unfortunately, there is a bug in Octave <= 3.2.2 related to cholesky factorizations that causes fminunc not to work for single variable functions. A patch is available that may be included in the upcoming 3.2.3 release (not completely sure).

As a workaround, you may put the fminunc from /Octave-forge/ in a place in your path so that it supersedes the fminunc in /Octave/. If you do that, you should use the previous version of regdatasmooth (the one that is currently not working for you).

Let me know if you have more trouble or if you get it working.

Jonathan

P.S.
I am moving this thread to octave-dev since it is about an octave-forge function. When replying, please remove "help-octave" from the send list.