Re: What did I do wrong with this funtion? - Implementing msplines

From: Corrado
Subject: Re: What did I do wrong with this funtion? - Implementing msplines
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 11:38:36 +0100

Dear Octave list,

I reached a point where the Octave prototype of the mspline function works
really well, and produces the desired output. The final function can be
downloaded from here:

http://scsys.co.uk:8002/33893

And the bibliographic reference is attached to the email in jpeg image format
(mspline_.jpeg).

Now the mspline(i,x,k,t) function returns the correct value when I pass a real
number on as x.

For example:

t=[0,0,0,.3,.5,.6,1,1,1]
mspline(1,.02,3,t)

returns the correct value.

I would now like to optimise it so that if I pass as x a vector of values or a
matrix, the function does transform the vector / matrix (that is all values in
them) in an efficient way. The idea is to create a "for" cycle that spans the
entire vector or matrix, which calls the mspline function and applies it to
each element of the vector or matrix.

Is that a good idea? Any alternative suggestion?

I particular: 1) What language to use for higher performance (Octave, Fortran,
....) 2) How to change the structure of the function so that it is better
performing in Octave.

Please remember I am an Octave newbie, and this is my first attempt at writing
a package. The aim of the package is to provide mspline and ispline based
regressions on large size distance matrices to Octave.

Regards
--
Corrado Topi

Global Climate Change & Biodiversity Indicators
Area 18,Department of Biology
University of York, York, YO10 5YW, UK
Phone: + 44 (0) 1904 328645, E-mail: address@hidden