FW: single versus double quotes: What's the difference

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: FW: single versus double quotes: What's the difference
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 23:55:10 -0400

On 26-Aug-2009, Rusty Humphrey wrote:

| Follow-up.  Now it's working with both single and double quotes.  Clearly, I
| had something else wrong.  I just wish I knew what it was.  Oh well.
|
| And I found the reference in the manual that there is no difference between
| single and double quotes for strings.

What version of Octave are you using?  There is a difference, for at
least five years now.  Note the difference between

  toascii ("\n")
  toascii ('\n')

This is explained in the current version of the manual, and even the
old version here:

  http://www.octave.org/doc/interpreter/Strings.html#Strings

(which reminds me, the manual on the web should probably be updated to
the version distributed with 3.2.2; I'll try to do that soon).

jwe