Re: printing plots in 3.2.2

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: printing plots in 3.2.2
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2009 07:30:15 -0400

On Aug 3, 2009, at 10:09 PM, Dmitri A. Sergatskov wrote:

On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 6:59 PM, Ben Abbott<address@hidden> wrote:
The "line 0: undefined variable: size" error is from gnuplot. It appears that this is due to a bug in the pipe to gnuplot. Unfortunately, I don't get
the error so I'm unable to try to track it down.

Ok. I do not see it with octave 3.0.5 -- again fwiw

The x11 fonts may be modified by specifying a default font.

       set (0, "defaultaxesfontname", "Helveitica")
       set (0, "defaulttextfontname", "Helvetica")

or by changing the default fontsize

       set (0, "defaultaxesfontsize", 12)
       set (0, "defaulttextfontsize", 12)

In any event, in 3.0.x the default fontname was "Helvetica" for 3.2 is it
"*". Which implies that x11 will use its default.

Gnuplot scales down the fontsize for eps files. You can compensate by
increasing the fontsize. For example,

      set (findall (gcf, "-property", "fontsize"), 20)

I know that. Using different font does not seem to help. To get the fonts
to an acceptable size in eps, I need to set their size to 24 that
makes x11 plots look grotesque.

The scaling down of fonts is done by gnuplot. It should be possible to compensate and have octave double the point size of all fonts for eps- output, but I don't have the time right now.

Again this is definitely change with 3.2.2 vs 3.0.5.
I am using both on the same computer with the same gnuplot.
It appers to me that with 3.2.2 the size of picture in eps has increased
but fonts remein the same, so the fonts _for the given picture size_
become too small.

The eps output was modified to be consistent with how Matlab works. The size of the eps image should coincide with the width and height specified by the figure's paperposition property.

The ps output is likely a problem because you're figure
papersize/paperposition properties are set to the size for a US letter (8.5x11in). If you change these to A4, you should get what you expect. As we don't yet have listeners in place for conversion of units, be sure to set
those properties with units == "inches".

I have this problem while running "./run-octave --no-init-file" in the
top level source-tree directory. So octave uses defaults.
The postscript prolog has BoundingBox defined as:

%%BoundingBox: 50 50 612 792

If I change it to

%%BoundingBox: 0 0 612 792

I get standard letter-size page and the figure looks about right.

(A4 pagesize would be 595 848, if I remember correctly)

Ok, I had infered you were looking at the printed page, not the ps file itself.

What software are you using to view the ps output?

Ben