Re: release 3.2.1

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: release 3.2.1
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 12:54:49 +0200

On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 7:02 PM, Jaroslav Hajek<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 6:55 PM, Jaroslav Hajek<address@hidden> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 2:16 PM, Jaroslav Hajek<address@hidden> wrote:
>>> hello,
>>>
>>> The Octave 3.2.1 semi-official tarballs are available at
>>> http://artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~hajej2am/ulozna/octave/
>>>
>>> We have 82 patches (mostly bug and doc fixes) since the 3.2.0 release.
>>> I sincerely thank all contributors and testers for their valuable
>>> work.
>>> If your favorite bug was not fixed, don't give up hope; Octave is going on
>>> :)
>>>
>>> John, please upload the tarballs to the GNU FTP site.
>>>
>>> free computing, free society!
>>>

>> OK, so hold up the fanfares; the release is flawed and should not be
>> used. I've removed the tarballs. See this thread:
>> http://www.nabble.com/Bug-in-octave-3.2.x-with-custom-atlas-multithread-td24319610.html
>> In short, any use of unwind_protect can cause a segfault (depending on
>> calling sequences).
>>
>> The development version does not suffer from this problem; it's caused
>> by a special patch created (by me) for 3.2.x rather than transplanting
>> from the development version to avoid breaking ABI compatibility.
>>
>> This is similar to the issue of 3.0.4 - a very serious bug was
>> reported very shortly after the release. Also, the bug was caused by a
>> patch specialized for the stable branch to avoid breaking the ABI.
>>
>> Since this is the second time I've managed to produce a flawed
>> release, I think I'm doing a poor job as the stable branch manager,
>> and it's time for a change. Who wants to take on the role?
>>
>> Forgive me my bitterness, but I'm really disappointed.
>>
>> Sorry for all the noise. Please don't use the tarballs (if you already
>> downloaded them) for packages. Recent RCs also suffer from the bug;
>> right now I can't check which ones.
>>
>> best regards
>>

> As a follow-up, I've just committed a fix to the repo; so if anyone is
> interested in making the release, feel free. I won't be able to do it
> for the following two weeks.

Back from vacation, I created the updated tarballs.
http://artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~hajej2am/ulozna/octave/

The only patch added is the following critical fix:
http://hg.tw-math.de/release-3-2-x/rev/bcb3e85add22

Unless there are more critical bugs (I hope not), the release is ready.
John, please upload the tarballs to the official places when you have time to.

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek
computing expert & GNU Octave developer