Re: -dpng gives "invalid command"

From: John B. Thoo
Subject: Re: -dpng gives "invalid command"
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 11:20:10 -0700

On Jul 10, 2009, at 11:13 AM, Thomas Treichl wrote:

John B. Thoo schrieb:
On Jul 10, 2009, at 10:56 AM, Ben Abbott wrote:
On Friday, July 10, 2009, at 12:37PM, "John B. Thoo" <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi, everyone.

I can save a plot to EPS by

  print ("foo.eps", "-deps")

but when I try to save a plot to PNG by

  print ("foo.png", "-dpng")

I get a run of errors like

gnuplot> e
         ^
         line 0: invalid command

and no plot is saved.

What am I doing wrongly?

I'm using Octave 3.0.5 and gnuplot 4.2 patchlevel 5 in an X11 xterm
window in Mac OS X 10.4.11.

Thanks.

I have no problem producing png output with 3.2 and gnuplot 4.2.5.

Can you run gnuplot and try ...

    set term png
    set output foo.png
    plot sin(x)
    quit

Do you still get the error?
Hi, Ben. When I open gnuplot separately from Octave and try to "set term png", I get this error:
[533] bash-2.05b$ gnuplot
         G N U P L O T
         Version 4.2 patchlevel 5
         last modified Mar 2009
         System: Darwin 8.11.0
         Copyright (C) 1986 - 1993, 1998, 2004, 2007 - 2009
         Thomas Williams, Colin Kelley and many others
         Type `help` to access the on-line reference manual.
The gnuplot FAQ is available from http://www.gnuplot.info/ faq/ Send bug reports and suggestions to <http:// sourceforge.net/ projects/gnuplot>
Terminal type set to 'aqua'
gnuplot> set term png
                   ^
unknown or ambiguous terminal type; type just 'set terminal' for a list
gnuplot>
When I type just "set terminal" for a list of available terminals types, I get:
Available terminal types:
            aed512  AED 512 Terminal
            aed767  AED 767 Terminal
              aifm  Adobe Illustrator 3.0 Format
aqua Interface to graphics terminal server for Mac OS X
          bitgraph  BBN Bitgraph Terminal
               cgm  Computer Graphics Metafile
             corel  EPS format for CorelDRAW
              dumb  ascii art for anything that prints text
               dxf  dxf-file for AutoCad (default size 120x80)
             eepic  EEPIC -- extended LaTeX picture environment
               emf  Enhanced Metafile format
             emtex  LaTeX picture environment with emTeX specials
          epslatex  LaTeX picture environment using graphicx package
      epson_180dpi  Epson LQ-style 180-dot per inch (24 pin) printers
       epson_60dpi  Epson-style 60-dot per inch printers
       epson_lx800  Epson LX-800, Star NL-10, NX-1000, PROPRINTER ...
               fig  FIG graphics language for XFIG graphics editor
gpic GPIC -- Produce graphs in groff using the gpic preprocessor
           hp2623A  HP2623A and maybe others
            hp2648  HP2648 and HP2647
            hp500c  HP DeskJet 500c, [75 100 150 300] [rle tiff]
              hpdj  HP DeskJet 500, [75 100 150 300]
              hpgl  HP7475 and relatives [number of pens] [eject]
            hpljii  HP Laserjet series II, [75 100 150 300]
              hppj  HP PaintJet and HP3630 [FNT5X9 FNT9X17 FNT13X25]
            imagen  Imagen laser printer
        kc_tek40xx  MS-DOS Kermit Tek4010 terminal emulator - color
km_tek40xx MS-DOS Kermit Tek4010 terminal emulator - monochrome
             latex  LaTeX picture environment
                mf  Metafont plotting standard
               mif  Frame maker MIF 3.00 format
                mp  MetaPost plotting standard
nec_cp6 NEC printer CP6, Epson LQ-800 [monocrome color draft]
           okidata  OKIDATA 320/321 Standard
pbm Portable bitmap [small medium large] [monochrome gray color] pcl5 HP Designjet 750C, HP Laserjet III/IV, etc. (many options) postscript PostScript graphics, including EPSF embedded files (*.eps) pslatex LaTeX picture environment with PostScript \specials
             pstex  plain TeX with PostScript \specials
          pstricks  LaTeX picture environment with PSTricks macros
qms QMS/QUIC Laser printer (also Talaris 1200 and others)
             regis  REGIS graphics language
           selanar  Selanar
             starc  Star Color Printer
               svg  W3C Scalable Vector Graphics driver
       tandy_60dpi  Tandy DMP-130 series 60-dot per inch graphics
           tek40xx  Tektronix 4010 and others; most TEK emulators
           tek410x  Tektronix 4106, 4107, 4109 and 420X terminals
           texdraw  LaTeX texdraw environment
tgif TGIF X11 [mode] [x,y] [dashed] ["font" [fontsize]]
          tkcanvas  Tk/Tcl canvas widget [perltk] [interactive]
tpic TPIC -- LaTeX picture environment with tpic \specials
           unknown  Unknown terminal type - not a plotting device
             vttek  VT-like tek40xx terminal emulator
               x11  X11 Window System
              xlib  X11 Window System (gnulib_x11 dump)
(END)
so I see that png is not on the list. (No "gif" either.) Hmm ... I guess that explains it. What do you suggest I do?
Thanks.
---John.

Can you please once again type 'show version long' in Gnuplot and send the output of this command once again? Thanks, Thomas

Hi, Thomas.

gnuplot> show version long

        G N U P L O T
        Version 4.2 patchlevel 5
        last modified Mar 2009
        System: Darwin 8.11.0

        Copyright (C) 1986 - 1993, 1998, 2004, 2007 - 2009
        Thomas Williams, Colin Kelley and many others

        Type `help` to access the on-line reference manual.
        The gnuplot FAQ is available from http://www.gnuplot.info/faq/

Send bug reports and suggestions to <http://sourceforge.net/ projects/gnuplot>

Compile options:
+READLINE -LIBREADLINE +HISTORY +BACKWARDS_COMPATIBILITY +BINARY_DATA
-LIBGD
-NOCWDRC  +X11  +X11_POLYGON  +MULTIBYTE  +USE_MOUSE  +HIDDEN3D_QUADTREE
+DATASTRINGS  +HISTOGRAMS  +OBJECTS  +STRINGVARS  +MACROS  +IMAGE

DRIVER_DIR     = "/usr/local/libexec/gnuplot/4.2"
GNUPLOT_PS_DIR = "/usr/local/share/gnuplot/4.2/PostScript"
HELPFILE       = "/usr/local/share/gnuplot/4.2/gnuplot.gih"

gnuplot>

Thanks.

---John.