Re: [OctDev] My first contribution to Octave

From: Luca Favatella
Subject: Re: [OctDev] My first contribution to Octave
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 22:35:45 +0200

On 07/07/2009, Lukas Reichlin <address@hidden> wrote:
[...]
> I made some cosmetic changes to improve (hopefully) readability of the
> code.
>
> http://n.ethz.ch/student/lukasre/download/svplot/

Good.
I didn't review/commit it.
Please read below.

> Do you know how discrete systems work? Until now, we tackled only

I studied them, if I remember well :P.

> continuous systems in our control systems lectures at university.
> Therefore I'm not sure if my code works for discrete systems too.

I think the main question is:
is there someone (at least one, e.g. you) out there using this
function for discrete systems?
If even you don't need discrete systems support in the function (at
least at the moment), I think the right thing to do is disabling
discrete systems support (at least at the moment).

> BTW: I've just created my Source Forge account. My user name is
> paramaniac (I'm addicted to paragliding ;-). I realized that MacOSX
> has all the necessary tools (svn, ssh, ...) already on board. That's
> convenience! Do you think it's safe when I update my code by myself?

Yours is a great great great idea!

I'm not the author of the control package.
I only contributed a few fixes, tests and a pair of new functions, as
you are doing :).
As a mantainer, my main goal is (if not able to actively improve the
package) at least reviewing and merging community contributions.
If who contributes also commits, from my POV is the best :).

So, I think it is good you email octave-dev (clean thread) asking for
commit access on octave-forge svn, saying that you are interested in
committing and improving your contributions in the control package.
I hope they'll say to add you as a mantainer/co-mantainer of control
package , or similar.

> This could save you some work, although I don't want to mess things up!

Don't worry, you are improving :).
You can commit and I could review your commits when you ask me.

> Regards,
> Lukas

Cheers,
Luca Favatella