Re: My first contribution to Octave

From: Lukas Reichlin
Subject: Re: My first contribution to Octave
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2009 00:17:59 +0200

On Fri, 2009-07-03 at 20:28 +0200, Lukas Reichlin wrote:
How about help?

Should we reference Matlab in comments or help files???

Here is a suggested diff:

tomdean

*** svplot.m~ Fri Jul  3 13:05:27 2009
--- svplot.m Fri Jul  3 13:17:58 2009
***************
*** 15,21 ****

 function [sigma_min_r, sigma_max_r, w_r] = svplot (sys, w)
!
 if (nargin < 1 || nargin > 2)
     print_usage();
 endif
--- 15,33 ----

 function [sigma_min_r, sigma_max_r, w_r] = svplot (sys, w)
!   ## Usage: [sigma_min_r, sigma_max_r, w_r] = svplot (sys)
!   ##  -or-  [sigma_min_r, sigma_max_r, w_r] = svplot (sys, w)
!   ## Where:
!   ##       sys is a MIMO system
!   ##       w is an optional frequency vector
!   ##
!   ## If w is not specified, it will be calculated.
!   ##
!   ## Plot the singular values of a MIMO system over a range of
!   ## frequencies, similar to Matlab's sigma(sys)
!   ##
!   ## Lukas Reichlin <address@hidden>
!
 if (nargin < 1 || nargin > 2)
     print_usage();
 endif

You are right, I forgot the most important feature of every software: documentation :-)

For the Package Reference:

[sigma_min, sigma_max, w] = svplot (sys, w)

If no output arguments are given: The singular value plot of a MIMO system over a range of frequencies is printed on the screen.
Otherwise, the singular values of the system data structure are computed and returned.

Inputs

sys system data structure (must be either purely continuous or discrete; see is_digital)

w Optional vector of frequency values. If w is not specified, it will be calculated by bode_bounds

Outputs

sigma_min Vector of minimal singular values

sigma_max Vector of maximal singular values

w Vector of frequency values used

For the file itself:

 function [sigma_min, sigma_max, w] = svplot (sys, w)
!   ## Usage: svplot (sys)
!   ##  -or-   svplot (sys, w)
!   ## Where:
!   ##       sys is a MIMO system
!   ##       w is an optional frequency vector
!   ##
!   ## If w is not specified, it will be calculated by bode_bounds.
!   ##
!   ## If no output arguments are given:
!   ## The singular value plot of a MIMO system over a range
!   ## of frequencies is printed on the screen.
!   ## Otherwise, the singular values of the system data structure
!   ## are computed and returned
!   ##
!   ## Lukas Reichlin <address@hidden>
!

No, I don't think we should reference Matlab, because it would be unusual in the OCST Manual.

Regards,
Lukas