Re: xlabel not visible on plot

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: xlabel not visible on plot
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 10:56:39 -0400

On Tuesday, June 30, 2009, at 10:20AM, "Lukas Reichlin" <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> Yes, line 45 is
>>>     h = axes ();
>>>
>>> For the first time,
>>>     clear all
>>>     close all
>>>     axes
>>>     plot(1:10)
>>> delivered a simple plot. Then I tried to run the m-file again. It
>>> didn't work, I got the same error message as before. Afterwards, I
>>> tried those four commands again and I got the following error:
>>> error: invalid use of script in index expression
>>> error: called from:
>>> error:   /Applications/Octave/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/share/
>>> octave/3.2.0/m/plot/gca.m at line 45, column 9
>>> error:   /Applications/Octave/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/share/
>>> octave/3.2.0/m/plot/__plt_get_axis_arg__.m at line 63, column 4
>>> error:   /Applications/Octave/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/share/
>>> octave/3.2.0/m/plot/plot.m at line 178, column 18
>>>

>> I installed the control package and I tried your script with
>> octave-3.2.x (developers sources). I do not get the error above.
>>
>> Please try running the script I've attached (it is yours from your
>> initial email, with the axes position changed).
>>
>> If it works for you, please send me a script that does not work.
>>
>> Ben
>> <lukas.m>
>

>Thank you. I'm sorry, but it still doesn't work. I get
>
>error: invalid use of script in index expression
>error: called from:
>error:   /Applications/Octave/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/share/
>octave/3.2.0/m/plot/gca.m at line 45, column 9
>error:   /Applications/Octave/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/share/
>octave/3.2.0/m/plot/__plt_get_axis_arg__.m at line 63, column 4
>error:   /Applications/Octave/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/share/
>octave/3.2.0/m/plot/semilogx.m at line 32, column 18
>error:   /Users/lukas/lukas.m at line 79, column 1
>
>Line 79 is the semilogx command. May I have to delete some kind of
>"Preference" files?

Regarding "preferences", you can check to see what might be in ~/.octaverc

For the sake of being thorough, I downloaded both the ppc and i386 versions of
Octave-3.2.0. The script ran cleanly for me on both a PPC based Mac and a i386
(each running 10.5.7).

Thus, it does appear you have a problem local to your installation. In the
event you have inadvertently modified a core function, you might try a fresh
install.

Ben