Re: xlabel not visible on plot

From: Lukas Reichlin
Subject: Re: xlabel not visible on plot
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 21:22:20 +0200

I had been unaware the aquaterm could save its windows contents as
eps (pdf too).

In any event, line 45 of gca.m is (should be) ...

        h = axes ();

What happens if you type

        clear all
        close all
        axes
        plot (1:10)

also, what does your path look like (just type "path")?

Ben

Yes, line 45 is
        h = axes ();

For the first time,
        clear all
        close all
        axes
        plot(1:10)
delivered a simple plot. Then I tried to run the m-file again. It
didn't work, I got the same error message as before. Afterwards, I
tried those four commands again and I got the following error:
error: invalid use of script in index expression
error: called from:
error: /Applications/Octave/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/ share/
octave/3.2.0/m/plot/gca.m at line 45, column 9
error: /Applications/Octave/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/ share/
octave/3.2.0/m/plot/__plt_get_axis_arg__.m at line 63, column 4
error: /Applications/Octave/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/ share/
octave/3.2.0/m/plot/plot.m at line 178, column 18

I installed the control package and I tried your script with
octave-3.2.x (developers sources). I do not get the error above.

Please try running the script I've attached (it is yours from your
initial email, with the axes position changed).

If it works for you, please send me a script that does not work.

Ben
<lukas.m>

Thank you. I'm sorry, but it still doesn't work. I get

error: invalid use of script in index expression
error: called from:
error:   /Applications/Octave/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/share/
octave/3.2.0/m/plot/gca.m at line 45, column 9
error:   /Applications/Octave/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/share/
octave/3.2.0/m/plot/__plt_get_axis_arg__.m at line 63, column 4
error:   /Applications/Octave/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/share/
octave/3.2.0/m/plot/semilogx.m at line 32, column 18
error:   /Users/lukas/lukas.m at line 79, column 1

Line 79 is the semilogx command. May I have to delete some kind of
"Preference" files?

Regarding "preferences", you can check to see what might be in
~/.octaverc

For the sake of being thorough, I downloaded both the ppc and i386
versions of Octave-3.2.0. The script ran cleanly for me on both a
PPC based Mac and a i386 (each running 10.5.7).

Thus, it does appear you have a problem local to your installation.
In the event you have inadvertently modified a core function, you
might try a fresh install.

Ben

I did a fresh install of Octave, Gnuplot and Aquaterm and
deleted .octaveverc. But I still get:

error: invalid use of script in index expression
error: called from:
error:   /Applications/Octave/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/share/
octave/3.2.0/m/plot/gca.m at line 45, column 9
error:   /Applications/Octave/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/share/
octave/3.2.0/m/plot/__plt_get_axis_arg__.m at line 63, column 4
error:   /Applications/Octave/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/share/
octave/3.2.0/m/plot/semilogx.m at line 32, column 18
error:   /Users/lukas/OCTAVE/test.m at line 62, column 1

even with the simplified m-file below.

I tried
        clear all
        close all
        axes
        plot(1:10)
It worked for the first time, from the second on I got:

error: invalid use of script in index expression
error: called from:
error:   /Applications/Octave/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/share/
octave/3.2.0/m/plot/gca.m at line 45, column 9
error:   /Applications/Octave/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/share/
octave/3.2.0/m/plot/__plt_get_axis_arg__.m at line 63, column 4
error:   /Applications/Octave/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/share/
octave/3.2.0/m/plot/plot.m at line 178, column 18

Are there any other files than .octaveverc to delete?

Regards,
Lukas

I'm perplexed.

What do you get when you type "ls *.m" ?

Ben

Now I believe to know what the problem was: I tried to juggle around files in the "working directory" and when I removed axes.m (I created this file to accomodate your commands clear all, close all, axes, plot(1:10) ), things worked normally. Somehow, axes.m must have "shadowed" another file inside the Octave.app application bundle. I will try to install the additional packages as soon as possible (at the moment, the web server shows error 400 when I try to download packages) and see if everything is fine again.
I'm really sorry for wasting your time!

Regards,
Lukas