Re: help on plot in octave

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: help on plot in octave
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 19:15:25 -0400

On Jun 19, 2009, at 6:31 PM, Jason Ding wrote:

Hi, All,

I installed both gnuplot and Octave. Gnuplot and octave work well separately. When I tried to use the “plot” function in octave, I got the following errors after seeing an empty figure window popping up. Can anyone have the similar experience? Or what may cause this?

Thanks, a lot.

if (exists("GPVAL_TERM")) print GPVAL_TERM; else print NaN
                    ^
         line 0: invalid expression

error: Invalid call to strcat.  Correct usage is:

 -- Function File:  strcat (S1, S2, ...)

Please include the OS your are using as well as the version of Octave and gnuplot.

The first error, complaining of GPVAL_TERM, appears to be from gnuplot. The "strcat" error is from Octave (but is only occurring because of the 1st error).

Assuming your Octave version is > 3.0 and your gnuplot is 4.2.2 or more recent, it is likely that you don't have a default terminal type set for gnuplot.

You'll want to set the GNUTERM environment variable. For Linux it should be set to "x11" or "wxt". For Mac OSX it can be set to "x11" or "aqua". For Windows (I think) it can be set to "windows" and if you have x11 installed, then "x11" should also work (I'm guessing as I haven't used windows in years).

Ben