Re: broken gnuplot pipe with coloured scatter3 from octave

From: lynx . abraxas
Subject: Re: broken gnuplot pipe with coloured scatter3 from octave
Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 13:58:42 +0200

On 29/05/09 20:52:07, Ben Abbott wrote:
> On May 29, 2009, at 4:39 PM, address@hidden wrote:
>
>> Hello!
>>
>> Because the thread below says it's a gnuplot issue I post this here as
>> well:
>>
>> In octave I'm having troubles with coloured sactter3. If I do:
>>
>> x=rand(100,1)
>> y=rand(100,1)
>> z=rand(100,1)
>>
>> scatter3 (x, y, z);
>> scatter3 (x, y, z, [], 'b');
>> scatter3 (x, y, z, z);
>> scatter3 (x, y, z, 50);
>> all is fine (just the spotsize is not changed) but with:
>>
>> scatter3 (x, y, z, 50, [], 's');
>> scatter3 (x, y, z, 50, []);
>
> The developers sources did not produce the same errors, but the two
> examples you gave did produce errors due to an empty color spec.

Thanks for the hint with the color. In my script I had concatenated x, y, z in
the wrong direction such that size(color,1) was not the same as size(x,1).

I don't get the errors due to an empty color spec though.
Strangely on a different computer I sometimes still get the gnuplot errors.
Could it be there is some check missing about the color vector fitting to  the
data?
It  would  be nice if the gnuplot error were more meaningfull to help find the
cause for it.

I couldn't get the hg sources compile because my autoconf is 2.59 and lowering
the requirement in configure.in caused configure to be unhappy about  my  g77.
Since  I  for  now  I  don't need them I'll wait for a new release including a
configure already.

Thanks for the help
Lynx