Re: Is it "n" or "pi" ?

From: Rob Mahurin
Subject: Re: Is it "n" or "pi" ?
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 12:03:13 -0400

On May 23, 2009, at 3:46 AM, Adrian Spiridon wrote:
I want to calculate Bessel function of the second kind , Yn (z) for n integer, using the formula :http://mathworld.wolfram.com/ images/equations/BesselFunctionoftheSecondKind/ NumberedEquation6.gif fromhttp://mathworld.wolfram.com/ BesselFunctionoftheSecondKind.html . I am not sure, in the formula, whether it is power(z/2,-n) or power(z/2,-pi), Jn(z) or Jpi(z). Similar,on the last term : is it power(z/2,n) or power(z/2,pi) ? If I zoom the image, it seems to be pi, although n is probably correct.

All of those are "n". There are solutions to the Bessel equations in lots of differential equations books, if you want something with enough detail to follow.

PS: I know Octave has this function built in, but I want to implement it myself. Also, where can I find the Octave source code of the function bessely ?

http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/file/7c02ec148a3c/src/DLD- FUNCTIONS/besselj.cc

Cheers,
Rob

--