Re: subarray(x, d, k) for picking all k-th elements of d-th dimension o

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: subarray(x, d, k) for picking all k-th elements of d-th dimension of x ?
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 13:13:52 +0200

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 1:10 PM, Jaroslav Hajek <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 12:37 PM, G.. <address@hidden> wrote:
>>

>> Jaroslav Hajek-2 wrote:
>>>
>>> Well, no, but you can write it:
>>>
>>> idx = {':'}(ones (1, max (ndims (x), d))); idx{d} = k; % or anything
>>> y = x(idx{:});
>>>

>> Great! I think I got a glimpse about indexing now. I never found it
>> documented.
>>
>> G.
>>

> I think it actually is documented - maybe you weren't aware that you
> can use a cs-list as index, but this more or less follows from the
> docs, I think. Another trick is maybe that you can use the ':' string
> instead of : - I think that's documented too, though I'm not sure. The
> rest is just thinking...
> In any case, feel free to improve the docs, clarify anything, provide
> any examples you find useful. I think there's nobody there thinking
> that Octave's documentation is too detailed.

Also, I would agree with contributing such a function (agreed the
trick is not really obvious), say, to the general package on
OctaveForge, if you feel like it.
But in that case, I'd ask you to invent a somewhat more descriptive
name, subarray is just too general. No ideas myself, though.

cheers

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek
computing expert & GNU Octave developer