Re: Solving large matrix equations

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: Solving large matrix equations
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 14:52:57 +0200

On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 9:55 AM, Martin Heller <address@hidden> wrote:
> I am new to Octave and am trying to write a function for differentiating
> some
> data based on this paper:
> <http://math.lanl.gov/Research/Publications/Docs/chartrand-2007-numerical.pdf>
>
> My attempt is shown below and it seems to work but my data sets contain
> 10000-15000 points which is too much for Octave to handle when solving
> the problem using my simple minded approch.
>
> I was wondering if there is a standard way to solve large matrix problems in
> Octave that I could take advantage of? At the moment I just feed smaller
> chunks of data to my function and this gets the job done.

Since your H matrix is full, you're solving a full system using
LAPACK, and 10000 is really too much, at least for a typical computer.
My advice is you avoid forming of the matrix H explicitly and rather
express its action on a vector via a function (K should be doable with
cumsum and D with diff). Then you'll be able to feed the function into
pcg and get your solution.

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek
computing expert & GNU Octave developer