Re: Octave 3.03 build Problems

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: Octave 3.03 build Problems
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 06:41:49 +0100

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 10:54 PM, David Laxer <address@hidden> wrote:
> I'm getting the following linker error building either Octave 3.0.3 or
> 3.1.53 on RHEL5:
>
> /usr/bin/ld: /opt/UMFPACK/Lib/libumfpack.a(umfpack_di_defaults.o):
> relocation R_X86_64_32 against `a local symbol' can not be used when
> making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
> /opt/UMFPACK/Lib/libumfpack.a: could not read symbols: Bad value
>
> I tried compiling SuiteSpare and Octave with -fPIC, but it didn't help.
> gcc is version 4.1.2-44

You *very probably* didn't compile all of suitesparse with -fPIC,
then. I recall it was tricky; it needed changes in more than one
place. Try afresh, and pay attention to the compile commands shown (or
tee them into a file) to check out where -fPIC is missing. If you link
with METIS, it needs -fPIC too.

cheers

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek