Re: Problems installing odepkg in octave 3.0.3

From: Thomas Treichl
Subject: Re: Problems installing odepkg in octave 3.0.3
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 08:44:35 +0100

Samuel H. Dupree, Jr. schrieb:
> Thomas Treichl wrote:
> > Samuel H. Dupree, Jr. schrieb:
> >> I'm running Octave 3.0.3 on a Mac PowerPC G4 running Mac OS 10.4.11.
> >> I'm attempting to install ODEPKG 0.6.4, and thus far I've been
> >> unsuccessful. The steps I've been using to install ODEPKG are as
> >> follows:
> >>
> >>     1. Downloaded the odepkg-0.6.4.tar.gz and placed it in my home
> >> directory
> >>     2. Launch Octave.app from the Applications folder on the desktop
> >>     3. Octave.app launches a UNIX terminal window in which Octave is
> >> initiated
> >>     4. From the Octave prompt cd to my home directory where
> >> odepkg-0.6.4.tar.gz resides
> >>     5. Entered the command, pkg install odepkg-0.6.4.tar.gz, to
> >> install the package
> >>     6. The installed produced the following output:
> > <SNIP>
> >>
> >> What am I doing wrong, or what work-around do I need to do to
> >> successfully install odepkg?
> >>
> >> Sam Dupree.
> >
> > Hi Sam,
> >
> > where did you get your /usr/local/bin/gcc 4.3.0 from?
> >
> > Have you set the CC environment variable? In Octave type
> >
> >   getenv ("CC")
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> >   Thomas
> >

> gcc 4.3.0 came from http://hpc.sourceforge.net/. As for the CC
> environment variable, I did not have  it set. Now I did enter getenv
> ("CC") in Octave and attempted to install odepkg with the same results -
> the install failed (see listing below).
>
> Could the version 4.3.0 of gcc that I obtained from hpc.sourceforge.net
> <http://hpc.sourceforge.net/> be the problem? I have a dot file called
> .octaverc; should the CC environment variable be set here, and what
> should it be set to?
>
> Sam Dupree.
<SNIP>

The output of your 'getenv ("CC")' is ok. It's set by the startup script of
Octave.app and is not visible to any other program of your Mac. Now I expect
that your gcc 4.3.0 does not do the right thing. You should have installed
Apple's version of GCC in /usr/bin that comes with the XCode tools. Now, how
can you do that?

a) Find out where /usr/local/bin was added to your system's $PATH environment
variable and remove it just for the installation of odepkg. After that you can
add it again. This makes sure that no other program in your /usr/local/bin is
found.

Close Terminal.app from your Dock and then open a new Terminal.app window, then
type

  which gcc
  which g++

and check for programs /usr/bin/gcc and /usr/bin/g++. Startup Octave.app and
try to install the package once again. Finally you can add your /usr/local/bin
directory to your $PATH once again.

b) rename /usr/local just for the installation of odepkg, eg. rename /usr/local
into /usr/__local. Then continue with the same steps than in a) by closing
Terminal.app in the Dock and by checking for gcc and g++.

Best regards,

  Thomas
http://www.gmx.net/de/go/multimessenger01