Re: Octave review

From: Francesco Potortì
Subject: Re: Octave review
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2009 11:36:14 +0100

>>  Since Octave is free software, its development is quite open
>>
>> The ideas of free software (the freedom to share and modify, etc.)
>> does not necessarily imply a collaborative development process.
>
>But surely there is some connection? I've rewritten this to read: "In
>part due because Octave is free software..."

I would say:

Octave is free software, that is, it is distributed with a license to
copy, modify, and redistribute it.  Its developement ...

And, while it is true that if you want an open development, you will
have difficulties without a free software license, it is also true that
much free software does not have a very open development process, often
simply because it cannot gather enough interest around it.

--
Francesco Potortì (ricercatore)        Voice: +39 050 315 3058 (op.2111)
ISTI - Area della ricerca CNR          Fax:   +39 050 315 2040