Re: downloading package

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: downloading package
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2008 18:53:42 +0100

Hi,
 (answers below)

Steve MC Han skrev:
I am a beginner of Octave.
I am using Window xp and installed Octave 3.1.50

You do realise that 3.1.50 is meant for Octave developers and not for users, right? You probably should use a release from the 3.0.x series -- they also come with most packages pre-installed.

After installation, I typed 'pkg list' at the prompt, but it responds "no packages installed"

Yes, no packages are provided in the developer snapshot you downloaded.

So, I tried to install a package by following the guidance describe in here http://octave.sourceforge.net/index.html and chose a package from here http://octave.sourceforge.net/packages.html If I click download beside a package, say nnet, then small unzip window shows up asking open save cancel and if I click open then nnet-0.1.8.tar[1] file folder shows up. If I click extract, then extract window shows up.

You should click 'save' such that you just download the file. Assuming you download the file to C:\ (probably not a good place, but I don't know much about windows), then you can install the package by typing

 pkg install C:\nnet-0.1.8.tar.gz

from within Octave. Then the package should be installed. This, however, assumes that the package only contains m-files. If something needs to be compiled, you also need to install a compiler. But that's a separate problem...

Cheers,
Søren