downloading package

From: Steve MC Han
Subject: downloading package
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2008 08:27:57 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

I am a beginner of Octave.

I am using Window xp and installed Octave 3.1.50 through

by clicking octave octave-3.1.50-setyp.exe.

After installation, I typed 'pkg list' at the prompt, but it responds "no packages installed"

So, I tried to install a package by following the guidance describe in here

and chose a package from here

If I click download beside a package, say nnet, then small unzip window shows up asking

open save cancel

and if I click open then nnet-0.1.8.tar[1] file folder shows up. If I click extract, then extract window shows up. Now which directory should I download this. I tried under

c:\Program Files\Octave

but it shows error message. Also downloaded to

c:\Program Files\Octave\share\octave\3.1.50\m\pkg\

still it shows no package downloaded.

How do you download a package and how to use it?

Thanks,

Hi,
  What Operating System are you using, and how did you install Octave?
As to the package installation, then you need to provide some more
details. Please describe the steps you took, one by one:

  * which package did you download?
  * where did you save the package file?
  * what did you type in Octave to install the package?