Re: Problem with single quotes

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Problem with single quotes
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2008 11:30:35 -0400

On  2-Oct-2008, Andreas Yankopolus wrote:

| > I doubt that'll work in Matlab either:
| >
| >  1) Matlab doesn't have the printf function -- you have to use fprintf
|
| I've changed all my printf(?) statements to fprintf (1, ?)

You should not need to use fprintf (1, fmt, args, ...).  You can just
write fprintf (fmt, args, ...).  This works because if the first
argument to fprintf is a character string, it is used as the format
and the default output stream is the standard output (stdout, or
stream number 1).

| >  2) The escape code for ' inside a single quoted string is ''.
| >
| > So, the following should work:
| >  fprintf ('''')
|
| I did not know that. That statement prints a double quote in Octave.

No, it should print a single ' character, same as Matlab.

| I'll give it a shot in Matlab and see what happens.

jwe