Problem with single quotes

From: Andreas Yankopolus
Subject: Problem with single quotes
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 10:30:57 -0400

I'm trying to write some Octave code that's compatible with Matlab. One of the differences is that Matlab uses single quotation marks, and I quickly ran into problems with Octave's handling of them. The following command should print a single quotation mark, but it gives a syntax error:

printf ('\'');

I'm running Octave 3.0.0 on Ubuntu Hardy installed via the package manger. The same problem occurs on Octave 3.0.2 on OS X installed via Fink.

Am I doing something wrong? Is this a bug?

Thanks,

Andreas