Mac-Intel math performance libraries

From: Samir Sharshar
Subject: Mac-Intel math performance libraries
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 20:23:10 +0200

Hi octave users,

I've just bought a fair new MacPro Intel-based processor.
Searching the internet I've found that the IntelMath Kernel Libraries for mac os x could increase by a 30% factor the performance of octave (as said by an Ubuntu user).

I'm running under 10.5.5, with XCode 3.1 (aka gcc 4.0)

I'm in trouble in compiling octave with :

1. UMFPACK : everything goes fine but the .a libraries have no symbols (ranlib errors),
2. FFTW 3.0 : cannot build shared libraries

Secondly, I imagine I have to pass some compilation arguments to compile UMFPACK and FFTW against the Intel libraries but can't figure how... sorry I'm not a C/C++/Fortran developper :)

Have anyone test or does the job ?
Help would be greatly appreciated,

Cheers,

Samir Sharshar MD