Re: "LGPL API" (was: Re: Private company and code salvation)

From: Thomas Weber
Subject: Re: "LGPL API" (was: Re: Private company and code salvation)
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 22:47:44 +0200

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 10:55:09AM -0700, Sergei Steshenko wrote:
> Linux kernel is GPL, ALSA is LGPL, I believe ALSA site claims one can
> created closed-source audio applications based on ALSA.

And the ALSA developers surely love them:

        Users of binary only dirvers must be instructed not use ALSA for
        technical support whatsoever! These users must be notified with
        the following notice.

        "These drivers are not part of the official ALSA distribution.
        ALSA will never support these drivers.  DO NOT attempt to
        contact ALSA for support."

http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/ALSA_Soundcard_Vendor_Information

        Thomas