Re: Why is my Butterworth filter so noisy?

From: Fredrik Lingvall
Subject: Re: Why is my Butterworth filter so noisy?
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 10:28:38 +0200

Matthias Brennwald wrote:

On 22.09.2008, at 15:26, Fredrik Lingvall wrote:

Try,

freqz(b,a,1/(t(2)-t(1)))

instead

Ok, this will produce a beatuiful plot of the transfer function as it should be. However, the noise will still be there in my filtered data.

Matthias

The noise is due to the poor estimator of the transfer function that you have used. You don't have infinite precision in your data. If you take the uncertainties into account, say using a model like

y = h*x + e

where e is a "noise" term (i.e., the model misfit) and h is the impulse response of your filter, then you can derive a better (more robust) estimator for h.

/Fredrik