From: Thorsten Meyer
Subject: loading data in octave ascii data format into matlab
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 11:11:50 +0200

Hello all,

I am looking for a way to load data in the octave ascii data format into matlab.

At work I have been using octave as my main tool to evaluate measurement and simulation data for years (by the way: thanks to you all for providing and maintaining such a wonderful tool!). Also, I really like the octave ascii format, as it is simple enough to still be human readable and powerful enough to hold even complex data structures. So I have been archiving lots of measurement data in octaves ascii format. Now, a few of my colleagues have started to use matlab for measurement data evaluation. So I am looking for ways to make my octave toolset compatible with what that matlab community does. One part of this is to get my data into matlab.

Of course, I could use octave to load existing data and save them in matlabs binary format. However, that would require octave to be available on the same platform as matlab which unfortunately is not the case in our company network. Hence my question:

Has any of you written (or knows of) a matlab function to read the octave ascii data format and could give me a hint where to find one?

Thanks

Thorsten