Re: error: memory exhausted or requested size too large

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: error: memory exhausted or requested size too large
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 14:03:24 -0400

On 11-Aug-2008, Jim Langston wrote:

| Sorry for taking awhile to get back - I introduced three changes and
| been trying to work
| my way through. The changes, upgrading my OS to OpenSolaris B86, changed
| my compilers
| to Sun Studio 12 0708, and changed Octave to version 3.0.1.
|
| - Changed my version of Octave to 2.9.13, leaving the compilers the same
| and the OS the same.
|    And I still get the same error when running the check after compilation.
|
| - Changed my compiler to Sun Studio 12 0404, leaving 2.9.13, and still
| get the error.
|
| What would cause the error to get generated ?
|
| - I'm running 64bit
| - I recompiled using 64bit, same error
| - I re-configure using --enable-64 and 64bit compiler options, same error.

Did you notice the configure warning about the --enable-64 option?
Are you sure you want to use --enable-64?  If so, then you'll need to
ensure that all numerical libraries that you are using are built to be
compatible with the 64-byte indexing that Octave expects.

Have you tried building without --enable-64?

jwe