Re: error: memory exhausted or requested size too large

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: error: memory exhausted or requested size too large
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 08:48:44 +0200

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 9:04 PM, Jim Langston <address@hidden> wrote:
> John W. Eaton wrote:
>> On 11-Aug-2008, Jim Langston wrote:
>>
>> | Sorry for taking awhile to get back - I introduced three changes and
>> | been trying to work
>> | my way through. The changes, upgrading my OS to OpenSolaris B86, changed
>> | my compilers
>> | to Sun Studio 12 0708, and changed Octave to version 3.0.1.
>> |
>> | - Changed my version of Octave to 2.9.13, leaving the compilers the same
>> | and the OS the same.
>> |    And I still get the same error when running the check after compilation.
>> |
>> | - Changed my compiler to Sun Studio 12 0404, leaving 2.9.13, and still
>> | get the error.
>> |
>> | What would cause the error to get generated ?
>> |
>> | - I'm running 64bit
>> | - I recompiled using 64bit, same error
>> | - I re-configure using --enable-64 and 64bit compiler options, same error.
>>
>> Did you notice the configure warning about the --enable-64 option?
>> Are you sure you want to use --enable-64?  If so, then you'll need to
>> ensure that all numerical libraries that you are using are built to be
>> compatible with the 64-byte indexing that Octave expects.
>>
>> Have you tried building without --enable-64?
>>
> Yes, noticed the warning, I did not use the --enable-64 until I hit the
> error as I had not used it before. I had not used
> any of the 64bit compiler options either. The options did not make a
> difference and I'm back to where I was when
> I did compile and run on the older versions of Octave.

This looks like some fatal configuration problem. It seems that not
even a single test was started - did you try running octave in place
(./run-octave) and doing some computations?
Octave generally issues this error when it receives a std::bad_alloc
exception. Given that you have so much RAM, something is utterly
wrong.
Also, can you please share your config.log file? Preferably for the
3.0.1 version, that's more relevant.

regards,