plot directly to postscript with Octave2.9 on low end server

From: jacco77
Subject: plot directly to postscript with Octave2.9 on low end server
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 05:12:39 -0700 (PDT)

Hi (sorry if this is the wrong fora, but I have *really* searched on the
web/dokumentation without any luck)

I am trying to produce a postscript plot using octave on my Ubuntu 7.10
server. Note the server has no X server running. I have tried several ways,
the one that felt the most promising was to try

__gnuplot_set__ terminal postscript
__gnuplot_set__ output "test.ps"
x = -1:0.1:1;
plot (x, x.^2)

This is because the two upper commands (set terminal, set output) works well
in gnuplot on the very same computer (ie I can produce postscript plot on
the same coputer with gnuplot). Hower the code above gives an error message
on the first line

"Expected X11 driver: /usr/lib/gnuplot/gnuplot_x11"

The package gnuplot-x11 is not installed on the machine. Howeve this package
is not in the gnuplot dependecy as stated here

http://packages.debian.org/etch/gnuplot-x11

Any suggestions would greatly appreciated!

David