Re: Question about building under Linux

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: Question about building under Linux
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 20:02:32 +0200

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 7:33 PM, James P. Howard, II <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 1:30 PM, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
>  > On 29-Apr-2008, James P. Howard, II wrote:
>  >
>  >  | Beautiful List Members,
>  >
>  >  ?
>
>  Well, a little bit of fun never hurt.
>

>  >  | I am trying to build Octave 3.0.1 under Linux.  During configure, it
>  >  | notes that UMFPACK, and others, are unavailable, and I need these
>  >  | features.  I have downloaded and successfully built SuiteSparse.
>  >  | However, I cannot determine how to tell configure where these
>  >  | libraries are installed and obvious solutions don't seem to work.
>  >  | What is the method?
>  >
>  >  On my system, the method is
>  >
>  >   apt-get update
>  >   apt-get build-dep octave3.0
>  >
>  >  What GNU/Linux distribution are you using?
>
>  I'm using RedHat, but I specifically wish to avoid using RPM to
>  install.  Which leads back to my original question.  How does Octave
>  know where the libraries are installed?
>

>  James

You have to specify -I/install/directory/include in CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS and
-L/install/directory/lib in LIBS.

If you use static libs (that's the default for SuiteSparse, then this
suffices, but beware that CHOLMOD needs also -lmetis to work, which
Octave's configure script doesn't try). I've worked this around by
modifying SuiteSparse so that libmetis.a is included in libcholmod.a.

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek
computing expert