FTP functions

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: FTP functions
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 17:34:05 -0400

On 24-Mar-2008, Xavier Delacour wrote:

| I've checked in an ftp package to octave forge. It implements
|
| ascii, binary, ftp, mget, mput,
| ftp_cd, ftp_remove, ftp_rename, ftp_put, ftp_get, ftp_mkdir,
| ftp_rmdir, ftp_ls, ftp_dir.
|
| They're bindings to ftplib-- a standard debian package, though small
| enough to include directly into octave-forge if that is preferred.
|
| The ftp_* prefix is necessary since Octave does not have overloading
| based on first argument. One can also call these functions as
| C++-style members, eg,
| f=ftp("ftp.gnu.org");
| f.cd("gnu/gcc");
| d=f.ls();

Does Matlab allow this syntax?  I don't think this is a good thing to
introduce as structure members are not normally functions, though I
suppose they could be function handles.

| Is MATLAB style OOP being done for 3.1, or do portions already
| exist?

Yes.  If you want to follow the development of Octave, you should join
the maintainers list and look at the current sources.

Given that the ftp class is core Matlab functionality, I think some
version of these functions belongs in the core Octave distribution.

jwe