Re: FTP functions

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: FTP functions
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 19:07:44 -0400

On 24-Mar-2008, Thomas Weber wrote:

| On 24/03/08 17:09 -0400, Xavier Delacour wrote:
| > They're bindings to ftplib-- a standard debian package, though small
| > enough to include directly into octave-forge if that is preferred.
|
| Cough, this package is maintained by the QA group (meaning it's
| orphaned). While not a problem in itself, the former maintainer's
| opinion is not really encouraging:
|
| http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?msg=3;att=0;bug=353128
|
| The last release of ftplib was in 2000.

Octave already depends on libcurl, so if that provides the needed
functionality, I think it might be best to simply use libcurl to
implement the ftp functions.  As there are only a few functions, I
don't see that it is necessary to use SWIG for this.  To make it most
useful to people writing C++ code and using the Octave scripting
language, it might be best to provide a C++ wrapper to libcurl that
makes it work nicely with liboctave, and then to write just what is
necessary in C++ to provide the necessary functionality at the
scripting langauge level, then write the rest of the functions in .m
files.

This discussion probably belongs on the maintainers list, so if you
want to continue it, please start a new thread there.

Thanks,

jwe