diffrent font encoding: e.g. iso8859-2 on plots

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: diffrent font encoding: e.g. iso8859-2 on plots
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 20:23:30 -0500

On  6-Mar-2008, Bartosz Marek wrote:

| Recently I've upgraded my octave to 3.0 version. And I've shocked
| when I red that __gnuplot_set__ , __gnuplot_show__ etc functions are
| obsolete and will be removed from future versions of octave.

You shouldn't be so shocked.  Any function names in octave that have
begin and end with "__" are considered internal functions and are
subject to change at any time.  The corresponding gset, gshow,
etc. functions were removed approximately two years before the release
of Octave 3.0, and it was no secret that the close coupling to gnuplot
was going away.

| I need some smart solution how to change encoding. I need letters with
| diacritic characters in gnuplot graphs. Please help.

As I wrote earlier today in another thread about plotting on the bug
list:

If you like gnuplot and want to use all of its features directly, then
I suggest you write your data out to files and use gnuplot separately
from Octave.

Sorry, but things are in a bit of a state of transition.  We think
that most Octave users want compatibility with Matlab graphics, so
that's what we're aiming for.

If you want to help improve the situation, contributions of code,
funding, or help with other aspects of the Octave project probably
couldn't hurt...

jwe