Re: Leasqr matrix singular to machine precision

From: Francesco Potorti`
Subject: Re: Leasqr matrix singular to machine precision
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 23:46:49 +0100

>As I could not solve the system I was asking why and found from the
>example leasqrdemo that I can give more points than the number of
>unknown (an overestimated system is possible !).

Sure it is possible!  That is the whole point of least square
optimization.

>If I try to modify the inital guess it doesn't converge and arrive to
>imaginary values...

Try with more points, and with different initial guesses.  Try with a
simpler problem, and change it gradually.  Try to start with something
that you know has a solution.

>Now I need help ! Does 4 variables are too much ?

Definitely not.

--
Francesco Potortì (ricercatore)        Voice: +39 050 315 3058 (op.2111)
ISTI - Area della ricerca CNR          Fax:   +39 050 315 2040