Re: Starting Octave Windows XP

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Re: Starting Octave Windows XP
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 13:10:58 +0900 (JST)

Hi Michael J. McCann

As David pointed out, the white space can be treated in the octave-MSVC.
Problems for the white space might ocurr inside the system.
I found that mkoctfile.m cannot be worked correcly, if the  octave-MSVC is
installed to the
folder whose name has white spaces.
Therefore I do not recommed to install octave to the folder "C:\Program Files".

However path related functions can be used with space with a little care,
if the path name is quated by ' ' and command style with () as David pointed
out.

Use of " (double quatation) requires care.
In case of double quatation, you have to write \ as \\ like C language.
cd ("C:\\Documents and Settings\\Tatsu")

So usually, please use  ' '.

However the like following case, path name comes from a string variable,
use of " " is possible.
octave.exe:8> a="programs"
a = programs
octave.exe:9> sprintf("C:\\%s",a)
ans = C:\programs
octave.exe:10> cd (sprintf("C:\\%s",a))
octave.exe:11> pwd
ans = C:\programs

In the following case, you never use '\' but use '\\'.

Regards

Tatsuro