Re: Starting Octave Windows XP

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: Starting Octave Windows XP
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 14:07:50 +0100

On Fri, Feb 8, 2008 at 1:12 PM, Michael J. McCann <address@hidden> wrote:
> Michael,
>         Well, thank you. That works fine. I had no idea where the
> problem was. I'll see if I can find the instructions about " ' ' " \\
> etc. because I didn't see (or perceive) the guidance when I read
> through the stuff about addpath.

It's not only about addpath, this is general octave syntax for strings.
A string can be single or double-quoted. The main difference is that
in double-quoted strings, octave will interpreted escaped characters
(like in C syntax).

For instance, "\n" will get you a string containing a single newline
character; '\n' will get you a string with 2 characters: a backslash
and n. As a consequence, backslashes must be escaped in a
double-quoted string, but not in a single-quoted string.

Michael.